PA Football makes history hosting home playoff game after an 8-2 season

Akaash Kamdar, Staff Writer

By Akaash Kamdar

The PA football team will host a playoff game Friday for the first time in 20 years, capping an 8-2 regular season last week with a 41-14 against Tallwood. The Cavaliers will play 9-1 Woodside High at Cavalier Stadium Friday at 7 p.m.

PA is the fourth-seeded team in Class 5, Region A, and Woodbridge is the fifth seed.

“We’ve made the playoffs once or twice in the past 20 years,” PA coach James Yeager said. 

Princess Anne moves into the regional quarterfinals, where the mindset seems to be clear from Yeager.

“We’re five games from state champions,” Yeager said. “If we win on Friday, then only four more to go.”

If the Cavs win Friday, they would face off against the winner of Salem vs. Cox matchup. 

“If Salem wins, it will be an away game,” student activities coordinator Robert Robbins said. “If Cox wins, then we could potentially host the matchup.”

Yeager is anticipating a tough game.

“If they’re 9-1, that means they’re doing something right in their program,” Yeager said.

“They’re a tough team and they play with an extremely high level of effort,” Yeager said. “They have some athletes in key positions and a high level of discipline in their play.” 

PA is working on controlling the ball and staying focused throughout the game in hopes to secure the win.

“We’re gonna spread the ball around. Our scheme is to take what teams give us,” Yeager said. “If there’s a double team, that means we have a one-on-one somewhere so exploit that opportunity.”

“As long as we stay focused and humbled throughout the game and do what we do, it should go our way,” senior linebacker Azaiyah Roberts said.

“Our defense as a whole has been amazing this year,” Roberts said. “Players like Tychaun Chapman, Tony Grimes, Mike Newell, and Zakir Brown have made countless plays this season.” 

A big improvement that has helped shape the season this far for the Cavs football program has been the addition of new coaching staff. 

“We have a majority of the same player but just the effort the coaches give every week has made a significant difference in our success,” Roberts said.

Yeager and Roberts hand the credit to the players and the commitment of the coaching staff that helped create the remarkable season. 

““The players have trusted us as a coaching staff to put them in the right position,” Yeager said. “Everyone on the coaching staff is dedicated to our program.” 

“I believe we have some of the best players in our entire area, and we can get the job done,” Roberts said.

“We aren’t just playing for the Princess Anne football team, we’re playing for PA high school,” Roberts said. “It’s been a long journey for our football team and the school deserves this game.” 

“The players have put themselves in positions to make playoffs and have home-field advantage. We have the intensity and the focus,” Yeager said. “I’m happy to see them reaping the fruits of all the work they have put in.”