20T touchdown, 2-pt conversion push PA past Ocean Lakes for first time since 2003

William Toner, Staff Writer

By William Toner

Despite Friday night’s heartbreaking loss to rival Bayside, Princess Anne’s football team continues to impress and is making itself as a force to be reckoned with.

Two weeks ago, after losing to Ocean Lakes’ usually powerful teams for 18 years, the Cavs pushed over a two-point conversion in the third overtime for the most dramatic win of the season.

Sophomore QB Michael Newell was the star for the Cavalier offense with a 19-yard touchdown pass to senior Kristofer Matthews in the first quarter and scoring two rushing touchdowns, the last one setting up the game-winning two-point conversion. 

In the second possession of the third OT, PA called Newell’s number on the one-yard line which he bulled in for the touchdown to bring the Cavs to within one point. Instead of opting for an extra point which would have added a fourth overtime, Yeager had a do-or-die decision, and went for the win right there with a two-point attempt. On the snap to Zaakir Brown, the run up the middle looked short initially, but after about 30 seconds of deliberation between referees, they determined Brown crossed the goal line, and PA had finally defeated Ocean Lakes.

The next week, the Cavs demolished First Colonial and entered the Division 5 Top 10 rankings.

Still, it was that pulsating Ocean Lakes win that has had the school buzzing.

PA’s first half defense for Princess Anne stifled the Ocean Lakes offense. The first OL possession was short-lived, as Kristofer Matthews made a diving interception in Dolphin territory to set up a drive that ended up with Matthews, who intercepted the ball, making a leaping touchdown catch to give the Cavs an early 7-0 lead. 

Princess Anne later added two more touchdowns to take a 21-0 lead into the half, making the game seemingly out of reach for Ocean Lakes. The touchdowns were six-yard rushes by Tony Grimes and Newell.

The only scoring play in the third quarter was a 10-yard touchdown run by Ocean Lakes’ Josh Brown to make it 21-7.

Ocean Lakes rallied in the 4th quarter to tie the game. The 28-yard touchdown reception by Myles Alston of Ocean Lakes was key, especially since the PAT was blocked. Ocean Lakes later converted on a 2-point conversion after a Kai Hodges’ 1-yard touchdown run to tie the game and send it to OT.

Nobody scored in the first overtime period, so second overtime was necessary. Ocean Lakes scored a touchdown on its second OT possession. 

The Cavalier offense had to come through with a big moment to keep the game going, leading to that historic two-point conversion and victory, and it did.