Early struggles for the Cavaliers

John Davis, Staff Writer

Despite a flashy 20-14 win over the First Colonial Patriots, the Cavaliers have struggled to reach success on the football field this season. Under new head coach Jesse Litton, PA looks…lackluster.

The Cavaliers followed up their first win of the new year over the Patriots by traveling to the Ocean Lakes Dolphins last Friday, where they were defeated in an absolute rout. The Cavaliers defense started off strong, holding the Dolphins to just 14 points in the first two quarters. To end the first half, the Cavs put together a strong drive that was on the brink of a red zone trip, but it inevitably stalled out as time ran out.

To start the second half, the Cavs received the football and looked good, converting a fourth down and three with a quarterback keeper by junior Isaiah Hodnett. Shortly afterwards, a Cavalier fumble would turn the tide of the game rather quickly. Not even four minutes after the turnover, the Dolphins put the ball in the end zone to go up 21-0 early in the third.

It all seemed like a quick rush to defeat afterwards, as Hodnett was intercepted by the Dolphins on a would’ve-been runningback screen, in which the interception was returned for a touchdown. Now 28-0, the Cavaliers replaced Hodnett with backup quarterback sophomore Christian Francis. Play continued to go downhill, as the Dolphins did not even struggle to continue to score. The Cavaliers lost 42-0.

The Ocean Lakes Dolphins, who are currently 4-0, sit in first place of the Beach Division, look like one of the best teams in the city. So fortunately this loss was less of PA’s inability, but more of Ocean Lakes dominance.

The struggles continued for the Cavs last Friday hosting the Kellam Knights. The Cavaliers fumbled the opening kickoff to give the Knights excellent field position. Only two minutes into the game, Kellam led 7-0. Sophomore Christian Francis started this game at quarterback, rather than Hodnett. 

In what would become, the Cavaliers went three and out to start the game. Kellam poured it on, with another touchdown in the first quarter, followed by a touchdown in the second. Before halftime, the Cavaliers succumbed to a safety as well, giving the Knights a 23-0 advantage at halftime. Four more touchdowns from the Knights would seal victory in a 51-0 domination. 

The dismantling of Princess Anne’s 2020 coaching staff this offseason seems to really be taking effect now, as the Cavaliers are outscored 93-0 over the last two weeks. Friday night the Cavaliers travel to the Bayside Marlins in an attempt to reach a .500 record. The Marlins, coming off a 16-0 shutout win over Landstown, look to improve upon their current 3-1 record.